"Tomatoes and green peppers spooned over the top give this easy-to-prepare macaroni and cheese fresh homemade taste," shares Sharon Ann Sluski from West Ossipee, New Hampshire. Our test kitchen figures her thrifty main dish costs just 94 cents per serving.
- 1 package (1 pound) medium shell pasta
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound process American cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- Fresh basil and/or oregano, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. meanwhile, in a skillet, saute peppers in butter for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Drain pasta; stir in cheese until melted. Spoon into bowls; top with tomato mixture. Garnish with basil and/or oregano if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pasta Shells and Peppers in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p35
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pasta Shells and Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review