Pasta Shells and Peppers Recipe
- 1 package (1 pound) medium shell pasta
- 4 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound process American cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- Fresh basil and/or oregano, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. meanwhile, in a skillet, saute peppers in butter for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Drain pasta; stir in cheese until melted. Spoon into bowls; top with tomato mixture. Garnish with basil and/or oregano if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Pasta Shells and Peppers
Sort By :
We liked this and will make again but feel the Velveeta was not needed. It made the dish too high in calories and too cheesy tasting. Instead would top the sauce with just a little shredded Italian cheese. Added in 1/2 pound ground beef - cooked and rinsed (a quick rinsing reduces calories & fat). Overall a real easy dish to make. Sauce had good flavor. Great for kids.