- 1-1/2 pounds hot or sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups water
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Remove casings from sausage; cut into 1-in. pieces. In a Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Return sausage to the pan; stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Pasta/Sausage Soup
"My husband said this was a keeper. I used half sweet sausage and half hot sausage and rotini instead of bow ties. It was very flavorful and easy to make."
"Delicious!!!Easy to make and filling."
"I have made this recipe countless times over the years. My 9-year-old granddaughter is a great fan of this soup. (I omit the Worcestershire sauce from the recipe as she has an allergy to that ingredient, and it is just as yummy without it). I keep Italian sausage and also frozen diced green pepper in the freezer so I can make this at a moment's notice. It has a very rich flavor for such a quick and easy recipe!"
"This was VERY good and full of flavor!!! I will make it again! mmm good!"
"I've shared this recipe more times than I can count; it's delicious and very easy to assemble!"