Pasta Puttanesca Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute carrot and anchovy fillets in oil until carrot is tender. Stir in the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, capers, oregano, thyme, fennel and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Drain pasta. Add pasta and basil to sauce mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 283 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Pasta Puttanesca
"I did not add the carrots or sugar. I did add red wine. This was excellent. The whole family loved it!"