- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute carrot and anchovy fillets in oil until carrot is tender. Stir in the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, capers, oregano, thyme, fennel and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and basil to sauce mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pasta Puttanesca in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p98
Reviews for Pasta Puttanesca
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2012
"I did not add the carrots or sugar. I did add red wine. This was excellent. The whole family loved it!"