- In a large bowl, combine the egg, crumbs, milk, mustard, salt and
- pepper. Crumble beef over mixture. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a
- Dutch oven over medium heat, brown meatballs in oil; drain and set
- In same pan, saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.
- Whisk in flour. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly; bring to a
- boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the
- tomatoes, paste, bay leaf, thyme and salt. Add meatballs and
- carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add zucchini and peppers; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add parsley and
- pasta; heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 274 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 596 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.