Pasta-Filled Peppers Recipe
- 6 medium sweet red, green or yellow pepper
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place whole peppers on a broiler pan; broil 6 in. from the heat for 10-15 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened, turning often. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skins. Carefully cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. Set peppers aside.
- 2. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Drain spaghetti; add to tomato mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, basil and Parmesan; toss. Spoon into peppers.
- 4. Place in a 3-qt. microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 filled pepper) equals 172 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.