Pasta-Filled Peppers Recipe
Pretty bell peppers provide a rainbow of colorful "cups" for serving up this fresh-tasting tomato-herb pasta dish. Spaghetti noodles are the unusual "stuffing" ingredient in the recipe shared by Conni Krause from Virginia Beach, Virginia. "I managed to make a lighter version of a family favorite that's as tasty as the original," she writes.
- 6 medium sweet red, green or yellow pepper
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Place whole peppers on a broiler pan; broil 6 in. from the heat for 10-15 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened, turning often. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skins. Carefully cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. Set peppers aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Drain spaghetti; add to tomato mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, basil and Parmesan; toss. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a 3-qt. microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1-3 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pasta-Filled Peppers in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p12
Reviews for Pasta-Filled Peppers(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Side Dishes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Spaghetti Recipes >