My older relatives brought this recipe from Italy and made it often as I was growing up . It is truly a comfort food and a balanced meal, besides.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- 1/2 cup canned white kidney or cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter and oil. Add broth;
- bring to a boil. Add pasta; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10
- minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, spinach
- and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with
- Parmesan cheese. Yield: 2 servings.