My older relatives brought this recipe from Italy and made it often as I was growing up . It is truly a comfort food and a balanced meal, besides. —Barb Swatz Davisburg, Michigan
Featured In: Restaurant Recipes You Can Make at Home
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- 1/2 cup canned white kidney or cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter and oil. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add pasta; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, spinach and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pasta Bean Soup in Reminisce May/June 2005, p50
Reviews for Pasta Fagioli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2010
"This is a deliciously satisfying soup. My husband, who is not big on homemade soups, loves this one. Even my grandkids love it."