- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, cut into strips
- 5 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, macaroni and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Pasta Fagioli Soup
"Delicious! It is a very light soup. I regret not making a double batch as there were no leftovers."
"Raves from everyone I serve this soup to. It's delicious and easy to prepare. I've made it exactly to the recipe and it's terrific. But I personalize it by using Italian Sweet Sausage and adding 1 teaspoon of basil and a few sprinkles of Italian seasoning. I would recommend maybe doubling the chicken broth, especially if you are making enough to have leftovers. So, so good. I've made this several times and it's a winner every time! Have a small bowl left in the refrigerator right now!"
"This is so simple, it's hard to believe it could be so good. I did make some changes. I try to eat gluten-free and used a GF penne pasta I had on hand. I used more spinach, cannellini beans, dried Italian seasoning and 2 large cloves of garlic. Next time I will double the recipe and use more chicken broth—I want some leftovers! I can't wait!"
"I made this delicious soup last night and we loved it. At first my husband turned his nose up at it but after a couple of bites, he cleaned his bowl and wanted more. I did add one chopped carrot and used Ditalini pasta (a small tubular pasta) and added some Italian seasoning at the end as I felt it was a little bland but taste it for yourself and see. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor."
"Very good. I recommend doubling the water & chicken broth. Used penne instead of macaroni as that was what I had on-hand."
"Used small shells instead of macaroni, also used 3 cloves of garlic and a couple of chopped carrots. From the garden, I added 2 -4" sprigs of rosemary, some fresh sage leaves, and a bay leaf, and removed them all before serving. The flavor was great. Yay for healthy, easy dinners!"
"This is delicious and even better the 2nd day! I added 1 carrot thinly sliced and then halved and used cannellini beans. Family loved it."
"Delicious! this is the third time I am making this(and upon popular request)!!This recipe ia what my Italian relatives made!! I just added carrot.thanks for sharing!"
"Delicious! this is the third time I am making this(upon popular request)!!This recipe ia what my Italian relatives made!! I just added carrot.thanks for sharing!"