- To prepare soup: Remove seasoning packet from jar. Remove beans; sort
- and rinse. Set pasta aside.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil
- for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4
- hours or until beans are softened. Drain and discard liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and
- remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery
- and salt; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until pasta and
- carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before
- serving. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without cheese) equals 148 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.