This meatless soup is both economical and flavorful. Church groups could buy the ingredients in bulk and assemble mixes to give to shut-ins.—Tamra Duncan, Lincoln, Arkansas
- 1 cup small pasta shells
- 3/4 cup dried great northern beans
- 3/4 cup dried pinto beans
- 3/4 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 14 cups water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place pasta in a small resealable plastic bag; place in a 1-qt. glass jar. Layer with beans. Place seasonings in another plastic bag; place in jar. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare soup: Remove seasoning packet from jar. Remove beans; sort and rinse. Set pasta aside.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and discard liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery and salt; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until pasta and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p105
Reviews for Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review