- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound imitation crabmeat, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the crab, sour cream, salt and basil.
- Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (3-4 servings each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Pasta Crab Casserole
"I've made this a couple of times and my family likes it. Instead of making 2 casseroles, I just put it in a 9" x 13" dish. I like a traditional mac and cheese, but this is nice for a change."
"made this last nite it was terrible as waste of good crab meat i doubled the recipe and thinking it would be good only to throw it out"
"This was very quick and easy to make."
"I made this recipe almost exactly as written the first time I tried it, only using less onion. Two large onions is WAY too much. As I suspected, 8 ounces of pasta for two casseroles was WAY too little. The second time I used a pound box of pasta. I think it worked much better!! Other than that, my family loves this recipe. The imitation crabmeat often goes on sale buy one get one free around here, so now I always grab it and eagerly look forward to this meal!!"
"This was very good and easy to make. I substituted roasted red pepper for the green pepper and used imitation crab."
"This recipe turned out really great! I especially liked the fresh mushrooms in the mix; they added so much flavor. Since I live at a high altitude I doubled the sour cream (fat-free). Will definitely make again."
"My family loves this recipe and if they know it's in the freezer they repeatedly ask about having it ASAP! I use imitation crab meat as my family doesn't mind and it turns out very well."
"My family loves this. I have also made it a few times for company. I find it a real treasure recipe in that part one is made and eaten, and part 2 is frozen and served a few weeks down the road on a busy day. I use no fat sour cream and low fat cheese to cut the fat. Also on rushed days, I go to the salad bar and get chopped onions, peppers, and sliced mushrooms. I sometimes get a mix of red, yellow and green peppers. It makes for a pretty casserole. I recommend at least trying it to see if it fits your taste."
"This is delicious. And it still really good after its been frozen. Its a handy one to have in the freezer. My DH said it was a keeper"