Pasta Beef Soup
Convenient canned goods, tomato juice and a frozen pasta-vegetable medley make it flavorful and fast. But it's also flexible because you can use other ingredients, such as a different frozen pasta-vegetable blend. On occasion, I stir in shredded zucchini or yellow squash, too.Brenda Jackson, Garden City, Kansas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen pasta with broccoli, corn and carrots in garlic-seasoned sauce
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the broth, pasta with vegetables, tomato juice, tomatoes
- and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with
- cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups (prepared with lean ground beef and reduced-sodium beef broth and tomato juice; calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 253 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.