Pasta Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrot and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pasta, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the beans and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 295 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 1,208 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.