My family loves this soup during our cold New England winters. It's very thick and hearty.—Beverly Ballaro, Lynnfield, Massachusetts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrot and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pasta, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the beans and tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pasta Bean Soup in Country Woman November/December 2002, p36
Reviews for Pasta Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review