Pasta Arrabbiata (Angry Pasta)
I learned how to make this while I was in Italy one summer. You can add more or less crushed red pepper...you can decide how "angry" you would like your pasta.—Stacie Gomm, Providence, Utah
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato puree
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- In the same skillet, saute garlic in olive oil for 1 minute. Add the
- tomato puree, basil, pepper flakes and bacon. Bring to a boil;
- reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend,
- stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve
- with sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.