Pasta & Sun-Dried Tomato Salad Recipe
The beauty of orzo pasta is that it can be served warm or cold; an ideal dish for casual picnics and cook-outs. —Dawn Williams, Scottsboro, Alabama
- 1 can (49 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes plus 2 teaspoons oil from the jar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Optional toppings: crumbled feta cheese and canned garbanzo beans
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in orzo; return to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Drain orzo; transfer to a large bowl. (Discard broth or save for another use.) Stir in the tomatoes, oil from sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper; cool completely.
- 3. Add Parmesan cheese and basil; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 255 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC