- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, broccoli and onion for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into the sausage mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pasta & Broccoli Sausage Simmer
Sort By :
"I made this as directed, only 1/2 amount. Thought it was very good and will make again."
"made this a couple of times and it is good, have also made it using canned chicken instead of the Kielbasa sausage."
"1# of sausage is plenty- and cuts the fat, the calories, cholesterol and sodium content in half. who needs 32 grams of fat?! and use turkey or chicken sausage to further reduce all of the above... I halve the sausage down the middle before slicing, and this spreads it through the dish abundantly. I also added more veggies: sliced green pepper, 1 large carrot, and one medium zucchini sliced like the sausage. I like the fire-roasted tomatoes, and brown sugar. :)"
"This was a great, quick meal. I added some garlic and grated Parmesan cheese on top. To make it more healthy, use turkey kielbasa. I also used whole grain pasta."