Pasta & Broccoli Sausage Simmer Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, broccoli and onion for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into the sausage mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pasta & Broccoli Sausage Simmer(19)
Sort By :
This was a great, quick meal. I added some garlic and grated Parmesan cheese on top. To make it more healthy, use turkey kielbasa. I also used whole grain pasta.
4+. Very nice flavor for a relatively simple dish. Like somebody below, I would add the broccoli toward the end next time, and I would cook the pasta a couple of minutes under al dente, just so it holds up when mixed in with the sausage mixture. I added a clove of garlic, which added a bit, and you could always mix it up with different sausage, too, for health, nutrition, or just general variety's sake. And my kids loved it--always a nice bonus!
I'm bucking the trend, but I wasn't highly impressed with this dish. Husband loved it, but 2 kids and I thought it was marginally ok. Just didn't have much flavor, even with added garlic.
Quick, simple and tasty. Decreased sausage and used lo-salt variety, used no salt tomatoes, added garlic and one fresh diced tomato. Big thumbs up from hubby!
Very tasty, goes together quickly. It tastes healthy, although the kielbasa probably detracts from that....oh so good.
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Pasta Dinner Recipes >
- Sausage Dinner Recipes >