- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, broccoli and onion for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into the sausage mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pasta & Broccoli Sausage Simmer
"Not everyone wants highly spiced foods. This is a great basic recipe that leaves room for individuality, which can make me feel more like a cook than just a recipe follower. Sky is the limit! TOH Rocks our kitchen!"
"Is CookingMommaof3 blind? The recipe clearly says to saute the onions. I think some people just like to rant about a recipe, while not having a clue. Read carefully before you write. I thought it was good."
"I did make substitutions, but i think this recipe -as a base - is great! I subbed spicy beef sausage, red bell pepper, and tomato juice for the kielbasa, onion and tomatoes. Next time i will use spicy brats (i no longer have the meat i used before)I think Cookingmommaof3's review is a bit harsh. Give it a shot, but dont be afraid to add your own flare to it. Enjoy."
"Not a fabulous meal, but not terrible either. Great for busy weeknights."
"My husband made this...he tends to add his own zing to things but it was great to me. Would definitely make it again. I don't know what people are talking about."