- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, broccoli and onion for 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain pasta; stir into the sausage mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pasta & Broccoli Sausage Simmer
Sort By :
"My husband made this...he tends to add his own zing to things but it was great to me. Would definitely make it again. I don't know what people are talking about."
"DO NOT MAKE THIS! I make home cooked meals 5 days a week. Usually my time in the kitchen is 1.5-2 hours, and so this recipe immediately caught my eye. I love cooking, but I was certainly deceived with this one. While I new it would be a little bland, I added garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, and even a little whipping cream to give it some more flavor/texture. We covered it with parm/asiago/romano cheese and it was still terrible. I personally think the 2 cans of tomatoes was way too much, overpowering, and I even picked some of them out. I didn't add the onions at all because it didn't say to cook them. Red onions are potent and I just didn't see them going in the recipe. Just do yourself and your family a favor, and pretend you never saw this recipe. I'm finding that this site doesn't have very good recipes, not compared to personal sites and Allrecipes.com. Hope this helps!"
"it's a good recipe, but needed some spice. I added a Greek seasoning blend and fresh garlic. For those that said it was bland. Did you think the ingredients were magically going to turn into something else? hardly any seasoning OF COURSE it's going to taste bland!"
"Delicious! I made a half recipe and used Italian tomatoes. My son likes it with a little cheese, Italian blend shreds or Parmesan, but I think it's wonderful either way. And so healthy-- especially with whole grain pasta! Great lunch idea, too!"
"Hated it. Threw out the leftovers. So bland and uninspired."
Soup Bar >