These moist and slightly sweet meatballs are popular with family and friends during the spring holiday season. They're bound to become a tradition at your house.
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion, divided
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup onion,
- matzo meal, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and
- remaining water and onion. Add meatballs; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer
- pink. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 dozen.
Matzo meal can be found in the kosher or ethnic section of your grocery store.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 74 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium,