Passover Meatballs Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion, divided
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup onion, matzo meal, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and remaining water and onion. Add meatballs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Passover Meatballs(3)
Sort By :
I saw this recipe and wanted to try it. This is an excellent recipe for Passover or any time. One change - I put the meatballs in a baking dish, poured the sauce over the meatballs, and baked at 350 degrees. This sauce is delicious.
I love this recipe! My mother requests this when she comes to visit. Also, my son wrote home from Army boot camp saying all he could think about was my Passover Meatballs! I have found I need more liquid when cooking the meatballs, so I use more tomato sauce. Also, you need to let the meatballs cook well before you try to stir them - or you will end up with Passover beef soup! (Which is actually pretty tasty too...)
I substituted brown sugar, and add a handful of dark raisins to the tomato sauce while the meatballs are cooking. Wonderful flavor!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Beef Appetizers >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meatball Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meat Appetizers >
- Meatball Appetizers >