- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Stir in the beans and peas. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until onion and peppers are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 16 servings (1/2 cup each).
Reviews for Partytime Beans
"I made this for a healthy cooking slow cooker demo at work. I actually had someone compliment on how the beans didn't need any meat. I did have to sub out white kidney beans for butter beans, but this dish was so colorful and it versatile you can really use any bean you have in the cupboard."
"We loved it! My husband makes a lot of chili and I'm really not a fan, but when I made these beans all talk of chili ceased. We dropped off leftovers at a neighbors' house on our way to vacation and that evening received an email that they loved them, too. We will make these over and over, changing only the peppers....red and orange, not green."
"I made these several times, they always went over well. Easy to make and good for you! The men really liked them, I didnt use the peppers as hubby hates peppers......I added about 1/4 c of brown sugar....AMAZING."
"There's only one word for these beans--AWESOME!!! Big, big hit with the guys, the vegetarians and pretty much everyone else. Thank you Jean Cantner!!"