Party-Pleasing Beef Dish Recipe
"I often prepare this mild spaghetti sauce-like mixture when I'm not sure how many guests are coming," says Glee Witzke of Crete, Nebraska. "It's easy to fix, easy to serve with tortilla chips and toppings and easy to clean up."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Tortilla chips
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and taco sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, garlic and seasonings.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Add rice; cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Serve over tortilla chips with toppings of your choice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 155 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC