- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 hard-cooked large eggs, finely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Just before serving, spoon 1 teaspoonful filling into each puff; sprinkle with parsley if desired. Replace tops. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Party Crab Puffs
"These were ok... presentation is nice, but was not crazy about the filling."
"I was so disappointed with this recipe. The puff pastry part was fine. Just make sure you don't drop the batter too large otherwise it won't cup correctly. However the filing was awful. It didn't taste like crab filling at all. It was more like egg salad with a hint of crab. I would only put in 1 maybe 2 eggs. Not 4. And the cream cheese was a bit too filling in my opinion."
"I use to make these as cream puffs with pudding inside. Makes a great dessert"
"I had made the puffs, previously, but, as pbarker said, they got soggy the longer they sat. Everyone still enjoyed them. I used the filling to stuff mushrooms, for a 45th anniversary party last month. I omitted the eggs and finely chopped some of the mushroom stems, in their place. I lowered the oven temp to 350º and baked them for the same amount of time. Everyone loved them. Even as they got cold, they were still great."
"this was good will make again."
"These are wonderful and easy to make however, if you fill them ahead of time they get soggy. It's a bit of a hassel when you have guests and have to leave them to fill the puffs."
"VERY good, and you can add or subtract whatever you do or don't like without compromising this really good recipe...and can also make them either bigger or smaller, depending on how you like them!!Good Recipe!!! And Thanks for sharing it with all of us out here :)"
"I have made this several times. I fill them with different fillings, so everyone gets one they like."