Party Beef Casserole Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add beef in batches; shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat in oil until meat is no longer pink. Place beef and drippings in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In the same skillet, add the water, broth, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms. Pour over meat; stir to coat.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle peas over meat. Spread potatoes evenly over top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake 15-20 minutes longer. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 314 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 666 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Reviews for Party Beef Casserole
"Very good. I liked the steak instead of the traditional ground beef you would find in a shepard's pie."
"Meat mixture was a little runny but I sprinkled flour on and mixed it in before I put the potatoes on top. Turned out great!"
"I have been making this recipe for over 10 yrs. Everytime I make it, it is a big hit & GONE!"
"Has anyone made this with leftover Thanksgiving mashed potatoes?"
"This needed salt and the bottom meat portion ended up a little runny. Love the mushroom and pea combination."
"This recipe was excellent! It is now my favorite way to prepare round steak."
"This is our family favorite. I sometimes use corn instead. I always make a double batch so we can have leftovers the next day. Easily reheated."
"sometimes I use mixed vegies to make it more colorful!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.