- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) hot or regular ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apple jelly
- 1 jar (12 ounces) currant jelly
- In a bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes; drain. Combine ketchup and cornstarch in roasting pan. Stir in jellies; add the meatballs. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Yield: 8 dozen.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Party Appetizer Meatballs
"These were very good. I didn't have currant jelly, so I used grape instead. My husband loved the sauce. He said this is a keeper!"
"These meatballs are fantastic! Just love them right out of the oven. I was a bit worried about the italian cheeses and seasoning, but it was not noticeable and added to the texture really. Very tasty. I didn't have apple jelly so I made my own concoction from ketchup, grape jelly, bbq sauce, honey, brown sugar. It's the meatball in this recipe that's great. Thank you for sharing. I will try it with apple & currant jelly next time because that sounds very nice."
"A big hit at my ships (Navy) pot luck. Even the Captain had a few and asked why they were so good. No one believed what the sauce was made out of."
"Made these for years (1996) We like these better than any other appetizer meatball recipe we have tried."
"I make these often for parties and they are always a hit! Very yummy!"