Partridge in a Pear Tree Pie Recipe
Delight guests and have a partridge in a pear tree make an appearance on your holiday table! The crimson cranberry filling makes this a fitting Christmas pie.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves, drained
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pastry of double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Additional sugar, optional
- 1. Set aside five pear halves; chop any remaining pears. In a large saucepan, combine the chopped pears, cranberries, pineapple and sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until some cranberries have popped. Cool for 30 minutes, stirring several times. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and cinnamon. Stir in cooled cranberry mixture.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim and flute edges. Spoon cranberry mixture into pastry shell; arrange pear halves on top. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil for last 15 minutes of baking if necessary). Cool on wire rack.
- 3. Roll remaining pastry. Using cookie cutters, cut out small leaves, small pears and a partridge. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Place partridge in center of pie with leaves and pears around it. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 499 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 278 mg sodium, 92 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC