Parsnips & Turnips Au Gratin
“This is a delicious variation on au gratin that features something besides potatoes. I sometimes substitute rutabaga for the turnips. It’s a well-guarded recipe in my collection.” Until now! —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 pounds turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place parsnips and turnips in a large saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain vegetables; transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated
- with cooking spray. Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered,
- at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and
- crumbs are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 189 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium,