Parsnips & Turnips au Gratin Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 pounds turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Place parsnips and turnips in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain vegetables; transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over vegetables.
Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and crumbs are golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 189 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 vegetable.