Parsnip Potato Gratin Recipe
Parsnips don't get much space in the produce section. But their subtle sweetness makes them worth the hunt.—Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. Layer the potatoes, onions, parsnips and 3/4 cup cheese in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt, pepper; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 2. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and top is golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 412 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC