Parsnip Potato Gratin
Parsnips don't get much space in the produce section. But their subtle sweetness makes them worth the hunt.—Kerry Dingwall, Ponte Vedra, Florida
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Layer the potatoes, onions, parsnips and 3/4 cup cheese in a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine
- the flour, salt, pepper; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a gentle
- boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour over
- vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25
- minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and top is golden
- brown. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 412 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.