- 1 pound potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 package (3 ounces) smoked salmon or lox, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs
- Coarsely grate potatoes and parsnips. Place grated vegetables on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners and squeeze out any liquid. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the onions, eggs, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll salmon to form rose shapes; set aside. Combine creme fraiche, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper. Top latkes with a dollop of creme fraiche mixture and a salmon rose. Garnish with dill. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p20
Reviews for Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review