Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme Recipe
A horseradish-flavored creme fraiche brings zip to these crispy homemade latkes, which get a touch of sweetness from the parsnips. Add fresh dill sprigs for a garnish.
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 package (3 ounces) smoked salmon or lox, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs
- Coarsely grate potatoes and parsnips. Place grated vegetables on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners and squeeze out any liquid. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the onions, eggs, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll salmon to form rose shapes; set aside. Combine creme fraiche, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper. Top latkes with a dollop of creme fraiche mixture and a salmon rose. Garnish with dill. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p20
Reviews for Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hanukkah Appetizers >
- Hanukkah Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- New Year's Appetizers >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Party Appetizers >