Parsnip Carrot Salad Recipe
- 3 cups sliced peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup sliced peeled carrots
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1. Place the parsnips and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, oil, lemon juice and mustard until blended.
- 2. Drain the vegetables; add orange juice mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the chives and celery seed. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup) equals 124 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.