Parsnip Carrot Salad
"Because my husband's garden produced an overabundance of parsnips, I experimented and came up with this combination that can be served as an appetizer, salad or side dish," writes Marge Campbell of Waymart, Pennsylvania. "We like it with duck or chicken."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups sliced peeled parsnips
- 3/4 cup sliced peeled carrots
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Place the parsnips and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or
- until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the orange
- juice, oil, lemon juice and mustard until blended.
- Drain the vegetables; add orange juice mixture and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with the chives and celery seed. Serve warm. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 124 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.