We pair parsnips with spring asparagus to create a terrific spring side dish. The cheesy and buttery crumb topping will entice everyone to eat their veggies!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 15 Favorite Easter Dinner Ideas
- 10 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the parsnips, salt and pepper. In a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Drizzle over parsnips; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Combine asparagus and melted butter; add to parsnips. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly toasted. Stir in cheese. Transfer parsnip mixture to a serving platter; sprinkle with crumb mixture. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Parsnip-Asparagus Au Gratin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p150
Reviews for Parsnip-Asparagus Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review