I love potatoes but can't stand the work involved in making mashed potatoes from scratch. I came up with this simple side dish that was made even easier thanks to my slow cooker. The best part is I can use the leftover broth for soup the next day! —Katie Hagy, Blacksburg, South Carolina
Featured In: 15 Southern Thanksgiving Recipes
- 16 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes, celery, carrot and onion in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix broth, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic; pour over vegetables. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer potatoes from slow cooker to a 15x10x1-in. pan; discard cooking liquid and vegetables. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, flatten potatoes slightly. Transfer to a large bowl; drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper; toss to coat. Sprinkle with additional parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Parsley Smashed Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p80
Reviews for Parsley Smashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review