I love potatoes but hate the work involved in making mashed potatoes from scratch. I came up with this simple side dish that was made even easier thanks to my slow cooker. The best part is I can use the leftover broth for soup the next day! —Katie Hagy, Blacksburg, South Carolina
Featured In: 15 Southern Thanksgiving Recipes
- 16 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes, celery, carrot and onion in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix broth, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic; pour over vegetables. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer potatoes from slow cooker to a 15x10x1-in. pan; discard cooking liquid and vegetables. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, flatten potatoes slightly. Transfer to a large bowl; drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper; toss to coat. Sprinkle with additional parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Parsley Smashed Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p80
Reviews for Parsley Smashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 31, 2016
"Yum. I'll make this again because it was easy!!"