With its red tomatoes and green pepper, this healthful rice dish from Nola Nielsen in Darien, Illinois is colorful enough to serve during the holidays, she says. “But I make it whenever I want a special rice dish any time of year at all!”
Recommended: 60 Sneaky Ways to Eat More Vegetables
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute green pepper in butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato, salt, celery salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and 1 tablespoon cheese; heat through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Parmesan Vegetable Rice in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p57