Risotto is a creamy Italian rice dish. In this version from our Test Kitchen, the rice is briefly sauteed, then slowly cooked in wine and seasonings.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine or water
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a Dutch oven, saute
- onion in oil until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for
- 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of
- the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the
- liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is
- creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20
- minutes.) Add the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until heated
- through. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 260 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 728 mg sodium,