Risotto is a creamy Italian rice dish. In this version from our Test Kitchen, the rice is briefly sauteed, then slowly cooked in wine and seasonings.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine or water
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Parmesan Risotto in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p120
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Parmesan Risotto
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review