Parmesan Potato Balls Recipe
• Add a dash of fun to weeknight meals with Parmesan Potato Balls from Pat Habiger, a field editor in Spearville, Kansas. The well-seasoned mashed potato bites have a crispy cornmeal coating that young and old will find appealing.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 large potatoes)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Beat in the cream cheese, milk and butter until smooth. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, onion, soup mix, salt, hot pepper sauce and pepper. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 3. Place the egg and cornflakes in separate shallow bowls. Dip potato balls in egg, then roll in crumbs. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
6 potato balls equals 309 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 573 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC