- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set aside. Chop pulp; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic and zucchini pulp; saute for 3-5 minutes or until pulp is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Sprinkle salt inside zucchini shells. Fill each with 3 tablespoons meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour water into dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender and filling is heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Parmesan-Pork Zucchini Boats
"These are delicious! We substituted ground turkey for the sausage to save calories. We added some extra spices to make up for the spices in the sausage. This is a light but filling meal. This was our entire meal."
"I had so much zucchini from my garden I did not know what to do with it, so I tried this recipe since I was heading to dinner with friends. It was awesome and everyone wanted the recipe. This one is a keeper."