Parmesan-Pork Zucchini Boats Recipe
My father-in-law grows zucchini, so we try as many different recipes as we can. Stuffed with a sausage-cheese filling, these zucchini boats are hearty enough to be a main dish. We usually serve them with rice.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set aside. Chop pulp; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic and zucchini pulp; saute for 3-5 minutes or until pulp is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Sprinkle salt inside zucchini shells. Fill each with 3 tablespoons meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour water into dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender and filling is heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Parmesan-Pork Zucchini Boats in Country June/July 2006, p51
Reviews for Parmesan-Pork Zucchini Boats(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review