Parmesan Peppercorn Breadsticks Recipe
These crisp breadsticks are just like the ones served in restaurants. When entertaining, use them as a garnish on plate chargers. When guests sit down to dinner, they have an immediate treat!—Mary Beth Jung, Hendersonville, North Carolina
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cheese, yeast, salt, sugar, rosemary, pepper and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Divide each half into 12 pieces. Roll into 12x1/2-in. strips; place on greased baking sheets. Beat egg white and cold water until foamy; brush over strips. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 4. Bake 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- 5. For tender breadsticks, serve the same day. Or let stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 1-2 days to dry breadsticks to a cracker-like consistency before packaging. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 breadstick equals 89 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Reviews for Parmesan Peppercorn Breadsticks
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC