Parmesan Penne Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, cook and stir beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/3 cup cheese, allspice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Gradually whisk in eggs until blended.
- 3. Drain pasta. Add the remaining cheese and butter; toss to coat.
- 4. Spread a third of the meat mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the pasta, a third of the meat mixture and half of the white sauce. Repeat layers.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 360 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 563 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.