Parmesan Onion Rye Recipe
I've been making my own bread for more than 29 years. The addition of poppy seeds and Parmesan cheese makes this rye bread deliciously different.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:14 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Additional kosher salt
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, Parmesan cheese, poppy seeds, salt, rye flour, 1/2 cup bread flour and onion mixture; beat on medium speed until blended. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a firm dough.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. With a sharp knife, make three or four shallow slashes across top of loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat egg white with water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional kosher salt. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 114 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC