Dinner guests in my home know to expect the unexpected! I love experimenting with unusual combinations of ingredients. This cheesy onion bake adds flair to a meal. -Linda Vail, Ballwin, Missouri
Recommended: 31 Irresistible Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large skillet, saute onions and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat.
- Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Parmesan Onion Bake in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p27
Reviews forParmesan Onion Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2011
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2010
"Delicious and unusual side dish. People ask for the recipe every time I make it."