Parmesan Herb Bread Recipe
This zesty bread was an experiment that ended up winning grand prize in a local baking contest. The herbs really add a savory filling.Audrey Thibodeau, Gilbert, Arizona
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water and 1/4 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each piece into a 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Spread remaining butter over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. In a small bowl, combine first six filling ingredients; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down on two ungreased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four or five slashes across top of each loaf; sprinkle with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Parmesan Herb Bread in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p23
Reviews for Parmesan Herb Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review