Parmesan Corn Chowder Recipe
"My mom made this thick soup when I was young," recalls Michelle Kaiser of Bozeman, Montana. "She passed the recipe on to me with a 'Favorite Recipes Box' she created when I started college. That was 10 years ago, and the dish remains one of my favorites."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Add corn and cheese. Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 277 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 911 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC