Parmesan Chicken Couscous
Simple ingredients make clever use of leftover chicken in an innovative dish any home cook would be proud to plate. I like to serve it with a side of fresh fruit.
—Lisa Abbott, New Berlin, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5.9 ounces) Parmesan couscous
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook walnuts over medium heat in 1 teaspoon oil
- for 2-3 minutes or until toasted. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the
- spinach, chicken, water, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in
- couscous. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes
- or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Stir in walnuts and
- sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 391 calories, 18 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 490 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch,