Parker House Rolls
Mom is especially well-known for the delectable things she bakes, like these moist, golden rolls. When that basket comes around the table, we all automatically take twoone is just never enough.
Sandra Melnychenko, Grandview, Manitoba
30 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup warm
- water; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk, salt, egg, oil, 2 cups flour
- and remaining water and sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
- the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into
- two portions. Roll each portion to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a
- floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. If desired, brush with butter.
- Using the dull edge of a knife, crease each slightly off-center. Fold