Parker House Rolls Recipe
Mom is especially well-known for the delectable things she bakes, like these moist, golden rolls. When that basket comes around the table, we all automatically take two—one is just never enough. —Sandra Melnychenko, Grandview, Manitoba
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Add milk, salt, egg, oil, 2 cups flour and remaining water and sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into two portions. Roll each portion to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. If desired, brush with butter.
- 4. Using the dull edge of a knife, crease each slightly off-center. Fold at the crease. Press edges together lightly. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC